WIC Community List Rules
Posting to Lists
Please do not include any HTML, email 'signatures,' or images in your posts, as they do not appear in the digest format or in the archives. Posts should be in text without added images, coding, or attachments.
Be sure to check the guidelines before posting your message and then send your post to:
- WIC Community List: email@example.com
- WIC Off-Topic List: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WIC Members-only List: email@example.com
What is Allowed
- Seeking candidates for consulting or job opportunities (please list the city and state of the opportunity in the subject line)
- Soliciting referrals for business-related professional services (accountants, lawyers, printers, insurance, etc.)
- Asking questions about running your practice or managing client relationships
- Soliciting mentorship
- Soliciting specific referrals or contacts within a specific company — not general sales leads
- Announcing WIC-sponsored events
What is Not Allowed
- Self-promotion, introductory messages, unsolicited promotions or referrals of individuals avaiable for hire
- Promotion of any products or services, whether your own or any other company's
- Discussions of fees and/or what to charge for services
- Selling anything, soliciting loans, posting of coupons such as "Groupon" or special offers for anything, even if business related
- Announcing non-WIC events
- Posting for non-list members: Posting one-time jobs for others is fine, but asking questions and getting compiled responses is a benefit reserved for paid community members or WIC members.
- Nanny and other household service-related postings
- Newsletters of any type, other than the WIC-produced newsletter
- Invitations to update contact information in Plaxo, LinkedIn, Facebook, or other similar services
- Anything of a political nature or requests to sign petitions
All of these items - except discussion of fees, posting for non-list members, anything of a political nature or requests to sign petitions, soliciting for loans, whether business or personal, posting of any special offers or coupons such as "Groupon" or similar services, or the posting of any newsletters or invitations to update contact information in Plaxo, LinkedIn, etc. - are allowed on the WIC Off-Topic list.
General List Rules
- No "Reply All." Be sure to select the individual's name/email address. Selecting Reply may post to the full list, so please double-check before posting. We encourage original posters to compile all answers and post them as a resource for the list. Please respect any individual who replies with a resource but wishes not to be included in the compilation.
- No forwarding WIC community messages without the permission of the person who posted the e-mail.
- Post a message to only one list. Choose the Community list, Off-Topic list, or the Members only list, depending on the message. We encourage members to post to the Community List when they want to reach the broadest audience.
- Don't flame people who violate these rules. Instead, send your concern to firstname.lastname@example.org who will deal appropriately with anyone violating list rules.
- No unsolicited promotion of people, products or services. This includes your own, as well as those of other people (such as your accountant, your nanny, your interior designer, individuals available for hire), and also extends to websites, books, movies, etc., that you feel are helpful. If a poster asks for such a recommendation, then, of course, you may share, but you may not post such a promotion or recommendation unless someone asks for it first.
- Do not post messages for non-list members. The posting of one-time jobs is allowable, but asking questions and then compiling the answers is a subscriber benefit.
Consequences of Not Following List Rules
Anyone sending an email that does not follow the guidelines will receive a written warning from the List Monitor. A second offense will receive a written warning and temporary suspension from the list; reinstatement will occur only after the list member has notified the WIC List Monitor that she has read the Email List Guidelines on the web site and agrees to follow them in the future. A third offense for WIC Community members will result in removal from the list for the remainder of the calendar year; paid WIC members will have their emails monitored for a period of 15 to 30 days. Monitoring means that all emails will be reviewed and approved by a list manager before being posted. The length of time that emails will be monitored will be determined on a case-by-case basis by the list administrators. A paid WIC member who violates the rules after a period of being monitored will be subject to removal from the list for the rest of the calendar year. All violations by either WIC Community members or paid WIC members are tracked throughout the year by the List Monitor, but are dropped at the beginning of each calendar year, allowing every member to start the year with no violations.
The WIC Community, WIC Off-Topic, WIC Leaders, and WIC Member email lists are provided as a service of Women In Consulting, Inc. All message authors are solely responsible for, and indemnify and hold harmless Women In Consulting from, the content of their messages. By posting a message hereon, the posting party grants WIC and users of the list the nonexclusive right and license to display, copy, publish, distribute, transmit, print and use such information or other material without remuneration of any kind. Women In Consulting accepts no responsibility for the opinions and information posted on this list. Women In Consulting may not be held responsible for relationships created or subsequent outcomes as a result of the use of any of its lists. The email listserv program broadcasts messages to all current list subscribers with no editorial review by Women In Consulting; WIC does not verify the accuracy of submitted messages nor does it endorse the opinions expressed by message authors. In the event an inappropriate posting is brought to Women In Consulting's attention, Women In Consulting will take the action that it deems appropriate in its sole discretion. Women In Consulting reserves the right to terminate access to any user at any time and/or to discontinue the listserv. Utilizing or posting to this list indicates agreement with these guidelines.